Custom Search

Saturday, August 18, 2007

And the winner is...

There is no winner; that's just a catch title.

Well, I just got up this morning. My wife is gone and my son is still in bed. I probably would still be sleeping except I was woken up by my bladder telling me to get up or else.

Another week of work is gone. I am currently waiting to hear back on a job that I applied for with the Iowa Department of Transportation. I originally applied for the position a few months ago and the hiring process has been put on hold a few times for various reasons. But I just got an email at the beginning of last week saying that they were going to begin the process again by the end of this week. I think it would be a sweet deal- the pay would be better, I would occasionally get to travel, my hours would be more consistent, I would have the job security of working for the State...many benefits.

On Thursday morning I got a funny call from my dad saying that he had something for my kids. When I asked him "what" he replied "a box." So then I said "oh yeah, what's in the box?" He then proceeded to tell me how, around his shop, they have all kinds of Praying Manta. He said that he had gotten 2 of them and that they were waiting for me to pick up. Reluctantly, I did.

When I got them home, we set the box in the floor and took the tape off so that it would open up a little. Then we shined a flashlight down in there to see if we could see anything. Then, like some scene from a scary movie one of them started to come out of the box, so we all screamed and then shut the box up again. We then decided that what we'd do is relocate the hermit crab and put the manta in her tank. So now they are out and wandering in her tank and I have to admit that they are kind of cool but still kind of creepy. They will watch you if you get up close. If you want to see a video of a praying mantis killing and eating a mouse then click here. If you'd rather see a strange cartoon drawing (unrelated to the subject at hand) then click here.

So we still have the manta until my daughter comes home and then it sounds like we will be letting them go outside. That is too bad because I was going to name them Genghis and Clementine. Those seemed like fitting names.

Just when it seems like all hope is lost, rest assured that it probably is.

I was thinking about something last night that seemed like it would make a very cool obscure subject for a blog entry but now I don't remember what it was.

My wife is on a [much necessary] kick to clean out all of the junk toys and unneeded children's cloths in our house. Wow do we have a lot of stuff. I can't believe the amount that we are either going to throw away or donate to charity.

Have you ever gone to bed and woken up with better hair than you had the day before?

I gotta go. My son needs breakfast, my wife needs help and my nephew needs his laptop fixed. Have a happy Saturnday.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home