Custom Search

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Baila!

Tonight was our 1st [Annual?] Father-Daughter dance. The mission was to get fancied up and then the fathers would take their daughters out on a "date" where they would be shown how a proper man should treat a woman of worth.

Open her doors, pull her chair out for her, help her out of the car...all of those things that have seemingly died out with chivalry and the birth of women's lib.

I took my daughter to the restaurant of her choice- Perkins. She loves the "rainbow" pancakes that they have there with whipped cream and sprinkles on top. As we sat and ate we also talked about notions of how a gentleman should treat a woman. I told her that a gentleman should always be kind, considerate, loving, caring, and protective. I asked her what she should do if her Prince Charming did not do those things for her. "I'd tell him to HIT THE ROAD!!!" she said loudly for all to hear. That's my girl. I think that conversation was about as fruitful as it could be for an almost 4 year old. I was appeased.

Then off to the dance we went. Lots of dads and girls there spending time together. We had fun dancing; but some of it was hard, seeing that my little baby girl was now growing older and knowing that one day she would be there dancing with another man...who will never be as good as I expect. Although, I was still encouraged when she would become distracted and run off with some of the other girls her age to do not-so-dancy stuff. That let me know that there was a lot more on her mind than just finding price charming.

I've got probably another 10 years before I really have to start hearing more about boys. Wow, I have an eerie feeling that it is going to creep up on me without notice. I guess I had better keep my gun shiny and clean now so that it will be ready if I ever have to use it.

To all the rest of you dads, as well as to myself....watch what you are. Did you know that most girls, either subconsciously or consciously, end up looking for a mate that ends up to be pretty similar to their dear old daddy? That means that if you care and are active in her life she will most likely end up with a man who will also take care of her and be the pride of her existence. If you're lazy and don't do much with her, then you've guessed it- there is a likely chance that she'll end up marrying some kind of a scumbag just like you.

I don't know all of the psychology behind it all, but there is a lot to be said for the impact on a young girl that her father has on her. Are you going to make her or break her? Will you be her hero or the cause of her blame.

I'm not the best dad in the world sweetheart, but this dance was for you.

My hope is that I can set the bar pretty high for any future loser who comes around here trying to steal my baby's heart. Until I'm able to set such a standard I guess I'll just settle for a hard bar that I could use to drive that punk away...

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I was able to dance with my girl on her 16 Birthday...

to be honest.. I cried.....

the next time I danced with her was at her wedding....

Take care of your girl.. hold her, every chance you get...

and do not blink... because, as soon as you do, she will be gone...

steve

June 18, 2007 at 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home