Custom Search

Friday, January 9, 2009

You Say You Want A Resolution

2008 is now gone and I don't know where all it went. Another year of working has passed. Another year of my children't lives have passed. Another year of my marriage has completed. In so many ways there were milestones and in others it was, sadly, just like all the rest.

Typically the way I close out each year is to put on my headphones and listen contemplatively to A Long December by Counting Crows. Here it is, if you haven't heard it-




Well, I didn't do that this year. This year we brought in the new year watching the movie Traitor. I didn't know what else to do.

I also didn't want to put togther some immediately sappy post about all the memories that I was adding to the book of my life. I wanted to take a little more time than I normally do. Well, I've taken that time now and I think that I've come up with a few things.

I really have not been one to make new year's resolutions. I've always thought that they were cheap and lazy and unachievable. I also don't think that the new year should begin in winter. I'm all for irony but that is too much. It would be more fitting if the new year began in spring when everything is coming back to life; but apparently we all know how I don't run the show....

Anyways, here are some of my "resolutions" for the year-

  • Find a new line of work- I can't keep up and I'm getting burned out
  • Try to have better dividing lines between my work life and my home life
  • Move to another house that is more practical for the fitting in of the rest of our lives
  • Have more play time; with my kids and doing the things that I like
  • Try to put fewer miles on my car unless it is for worthwhile adventures
  • Read more
  • Broaden my musical tastes
  • Go to a local play or musical
  • Go to an IMAX film
  • Revisit the game of frisbee golf
  • Get haircuts more frequently
  • Finish writing my book

I haven't decided on a new song for the year. I will need some time to think about that for a while. Rest assured that when I find it you all will know.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger glen said...

Try a band called Sigur Ros. They're weird, Icelandic and pure awesome. They are like a much mellower Radiohead.

You will either like them, or hate them.

Happy New Year!

January 11, 2009 at 12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home