Custom Search

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Baby in my cake...

I wish I could make this stuff up-

Source: www.religionnews.com

Why Is There a Baby Inside My Cake?
By Judy Walker

NEW ORLEANS -- A newcomer to this city walked in the bakery door one day holding a small doll in a little napkin. “She pulled me over to one side and said, `Son, I don't want to make a big stink, but I found this in my cake,”' remembers David Haydel Jr., a manager at Haydel's Bakery. “I had to explain to her the whole scenario.” Welcome to southern Louisiana, where the many rich culinary traditions include the deliberate baking of foreign objects -- especially tiny plastic babies -- into cakes during Carnival. So why are the babies there in the first place? At least three bakeries believe the king cake baby has religious roots. “It has to do with the baby Jesus,” one bakery owner said, noting that king cake season commences on Jan. 6, the Feast of the Epiphany.



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home